Creamy Chai and Ginger Soother
Inspired by the Indian drink, this warm milky tea is full of anti-oxidants from spices such as cardamom and cinnamon as well as the tea.
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons tea leaves
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Combine milk with 1 cup (250 ml) water, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and peppercorns in a small saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil over medium–low heat. As soon as it boils, turn off heat and add tea leaves. Leave to stand 10 minutes. Stir in honey, then pour through a mesh strainer into a warmed serving jug. Pour into two serving glasses.
This drink is a great cold remedy and stomach settler, combining vitamin C from the lemon with the warming and soothing properties of ginger. Gingerol and zingerone are two of ginger's active ingredients, thought to be responsible for its anti-inflammatory effects.
- 4 cm (1 1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) boiling water
- Put ginger, lemon zest and juice, and agave syrup or honey in a heatproof jug. Pour over boiling water and leave to stand 5 minutes, until the flavours have infused. Pour through a mesh strainer into two serving cups.