- 1 Chinese cabbage (wombok or napa)
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 12 thinly sliced radishes
- 4 chopped spring onions (scallions)
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 3 cm (1 1/4 in) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Fermenting solution
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chilli paste
- Chop the Chinese cabbage and place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with the salt and toss to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well. Transfer the cabbage to a very large glass container.
- Add the cucumber, radishes, spring onions, garlic cloves and fresh ginger, arranging around the outside of the container.
- To make the pickling solution, combine the salt, rice vinegar, chilli paste and 12 cups (3 litres) water in a large bowl, and stir to dissolve the salt. Pour over the vegetable mixture.
The Ultimate Book of Vegetables
Find this and many more colourful, healthy vegetable recipes from artichokes to zucchini in The Ultimate Book of Vegetables. Available from Reader’s Digest.