- 125 g (4 oz) light olive oil spread
- 1/3 cup (80 g) firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (110 g) white self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75 g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250 g) mashed orange sweet potato (kumara)
- 1 teaspoon mixed (pumpkin pie) spice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low-fat milk
- icing (confectioners’) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line 9 holes of a deep, flat-based patty pan or standard 1/3-cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put spread, brown sugar and golden syrup or honey in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer 3–4 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together white self-raising and wholemeal self-raising flour, then stir into creamed mixture with sweet potato and mixed spice. Add milk and stir until well combined. Spoon mixture into paper cases.
- Bake 15–20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve cupcakes dusted with a little icing sugar.
You will need 400 g (14 oz) orange sweet potato to make 1 cup mashed sweet potato for this recipe. Peel and roughly chop the sweet potato, then cook in a saucepan of boiling water 8–10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well before mashing.
For over 100 recipes to keep you fighting fit, see Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook, available from Reader’s Digest.