Classic Pumpkin Soup
This recipe for classic pumpkin soup takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Perfect for a busy weeknight and during the colder months of the year.
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 kg pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 4 tablespoons créme fraîche or sour cream
- Pour the stock into a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion. Then chop the pumpkin into 2 cm cubes, removing the seeds and skin.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the pumpkin and the hot stock, then cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Using a hand-held stick blender, purée the mixture until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in most of the coriander.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top each with a spoonful of créme fraîche. Sprinkle with a little more black pepper, garnish with the remaining coriander and serve.