and Beetroot Salad
This elegant salad is easy to prepare and you can roast the pumpkin and beetroot while you are cooking other dishes. Serve it warm with some crusty wholegrain bread for a light but balanced meal.
- 750 g butternut pumpkin, cut into chunks
- olive oil spray
- 4 baby beetroot, about 250 g in total, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 400 g can brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 60 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup (100 g) crumbled reduced-fat fetta
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread the pumpkin on the prepared tray and spray with olive oil. Wrap the beetroot in a large sheet of foil. Bake the beetroot for 15 minutes, then add the pumpkin and bake for 45 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender and lightly browned and the beetroot is tender when pierced with a small, sharp knife. Unwrap the beetroot and set aside with the pumpkin to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts on a baking tray. Bake for 3 minutes, until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Slip the skins off the cooled beetroot and cut each into six wedges.
- Combine the lentils, onion and spinach in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil, and toss to combine. Top with the pumpkin and beetroot, sprinkle with the fetta and pine nuts, and season with freshly ground black pepper.