Pull these fresh from the oven and you'll receive appreciative gasps of delight. These scrolls are also excellent for picnics and lunchboxes.
- 3 cups (450 g) self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups (310 ml) milk
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) tomato paste
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup (110 g) grated cheddar or mozzarella
- 100 g ham, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the milk, then stir with a flat-edged knife until well combined.Turn the dough onto a floured surface and lightly knead until smooth.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle about 1 cm thick, and about 38 x 26 cm in size. Spread the tomato paste over the dough, then scatter the capsicum, cheese and ham over the top.
- Carefully roll the dough up, starting from the longest side, enclosing the filling. Cut into slices 2 cm thick.
- Place the scrolls on the baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until crisp and golden.